Sunday, August 30, 2015

REVIEW: ColourPop Cosmetics Ultra Matte Lips in "Trap" and "Tulle"

One of the rages right now in the beauty community are matte liquid lipsticks, and ColourPop has jumped on board earlier in the summer to release a line of them. My head has been out of the beauty gutter for a couple of months, so I only found out about them earlier in August, and that's when I decided to pick up a few products from their website including two of their Ultra Mattes. For $6 a pop, why not?


I selected Tulle and Trap. These two colors are very different. Tulle according to their site is a mauve burgundy while Trap is a dusty grey/beige. Color descriptions are on point. 

Packaging. I like the packaging. It's sleek and pretty. I love that I am able to see the color of the lip product through the packaging. The wand is a doe foot applicator.

Pigmentation. Very pigmented!
Formula and Application. Here is the tricky part because these lippies are named "Ultra Mattes" for a reason, because they really are ultra matte. It's incredibly amazing how matte these products can get, and it's also amazing how fast they dry! With that said, these are very drying. The plus side? They last for hours, and hours. No joke. I ate food, drank and nothing transferred. However, there's no moisture, nada. I'm a girl who has dry/normal skin most of the year, and so I like wearing lip products that keep my lips hydrated, so these Ultra Mattes aren't for me, and they are also uncomfortable to wear. I also noticed that the formula is very liquid-y in the tube. If you are planning on purchasing these, be sure to keep them in a cool area, and be careful when you pull out the wand applicator from the tube because some of the product may splatter. 

Here are the application tips from their website:

Application Tips

Step 1: Make sure your lips are bare and dry! Step 2: Apply complimentary lip pencil for a precise and perfected application. Step 3: Apply Ultra Matte Lip with the applicator or your favorite lip brush. **For smoothest finish always exfoliate your lips first!
This thin and lightweight formula glides onto the lips smoothly and leaves SUPER intense pigment-rich colour with a bold, ultra matte look. It’s very long wearing and completely kiss proof!

I agree with their application tips. Do not wear a lip balm on your lips or else they will not apply correctly, and it won't be completely matte. Keep your lips dry, exfoliate as needed. Because of its fast-drying formula, you will need to work carefully.


Swatches. Wet application prior to them drying.
 Swatches.  This is when they are dried.



 Trap on my lips appears more lavender than what is described on their site. This color doesn't look great on me, but I purchased it because I wanted something different. I figured I could wear this during the fall season, and play around with my makeup to try and make it work.

Tulle is a gorgeous color that I could see myself wearing all the time during the fall and winter seasons. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of these formulas, but I am willing to wear this lippie out once in a while.

I find that these are so difficult to apply since they dry so quickly! You can see that I messed up around the edges of my lips.




Overall, in my honest opinion, I do not like these Ultra Matte Lips because they are very drying on my lips, therefore I cannot recommend them. I know many people like them, but they are not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...